Thursday, January 10, 2013

Vegetable Cutlet

An evening Chai with piping hot cutlet and the taste of crunchy and gooey ingredients of it , is my ideal de-stress moment. I do not remember the exact time when I tasted cutlets for the first time, but it is one of those snacks I inquire whenever I am visiting a bakery .Cutlets comes in all shapes (heart, round, rectangle) and flavors (meat, chicken, potatoes, beetroot). I personally like vegetable cutlets with an absence of beetroot!

My mom loves cutlets and during one of my parent's wedding anniversaries, my husband and I surprised them with  heart-shaped cutlets... After that, whenever we visit my home, she requests us to prepare one for them. So , thought today to be that day and my husband and I quickly made them... here is the recipe!

Kerala Vegetable Cutlet
Ingredients

  1. Potatoes - 5 Medium Sized, cut into cubes.
  2. Carrot - 1 Medium Sized, cut into cubes.
  3. Green Peas - 100 g
  4. Big Onion - 1 , finely chopped
  5. Green Chilly- 2, sliced
  6. Ginger - crushed, 1 tea spoon
  7. Garlic - crushed, 1 tea spoon
  8. Bread Crumbs - 1 Cup
  9. Egg - 3
  10. Cooking Oil for frying
  11. Salt to taste
  12. Spices - Cardamom, Fennel Seed, Cloves, Cinnamon (each half tea spoon)
  13. Powders - Turmeric Powder, Red Chilly Powder, Coriander Powder, Black Pepper Powder(each one tea spoon)
  14. Coriander Leaves - Finely Chopped
Kerala Vegetable Cutlet
How to Make?
  1. Pressure cook potatoes, carrot, green chilly, onion and green peas along with salt. It should be cooked well, so that it can be mashed later.
  2. Take a pan and add half tea spoon oil and once it heats up add the spices.
  3. Then add the powders. Do not get the spices and powders burnt.
  4. Now, add the cooked vegetables and crushed ginger garlic. While adding remove the extra water. I used a spoon with a sieve. We need the mashed filling with zero water content, so that we can shape them easily.
  5. Mix the vegetables with spices well and mash it to a paste. During this process add chopped coriander leaves.
  6. Keep this filling aside for cooling down. After that, roll it into your favorite shapes. 
  7. Prepare bread crumbs - For this blend chopped bread pieces. This should be as fine as possible.
  8. Beat eggs.
  9. Now heat a pan with oil for frying. 
  10. Take out rolled out filling and smear with egg, then roll it onto bread crumbs and coat well.
  11. Drop one by one, into hot oil and cook each side well ( color should be golden brown).
Enjoy with tomato sauce and sip it down with hot tea!

Mr.G's Invention!

Egg Ball Cakes
After this task we were left with bread crumbs and beaten eggs. Mr G did not want to waste them, hence asked me to mix them well and make small balls out of it. I was also instructed to add a bit of sugar(But, I cheated!). Then, he deep fried them. Needless to say, these small ball cakes emerged as the crowd-pleaser :) I really did repent on not adding sugar to it.  I am going to add some sugar and cardamom powder and test it out the next time!



No comments: